Sylhet Mayor Kamran`s house catches fire; Property worth Tk 1 lakh burnt
Reported by: UNBconnect
Reported on: May 06, 2012 08:31 pm
Reported in: National
Sylhet, May 6 (UNB) – A fire broke out at the house of Sylhet Mayor Badar Uddin Ahmed Kamran in the city on Sunday.
However, no casualty was reported.
Kamran was out when the devastating fire broke out in a room at the second floor of his multi-storied building, located at Chhararpar in Kotwali area, at 10:30 am.
The fire damaged valuables worth over Tk 1 lakh, firefighters said, quoting inmates of the house.
Being informed a firefighting unit from nearby fire station rushed to the spot and tamed the flame after 1 hour`s of hectic efforts.
Neither police nor firefighters could ascertain the cause of the fire.
Inmates said all on a sudden a storeroom in the 2nd floor caught fire.
When contacted Parimal Kundu, officer of Fire Service and Civil Defence, Sylhet, suspected that electric short-circuit or a cigarette butt might have sparked the fire.
Kamran could not be reached over telephone or his cell phone for his comment immediately.
It may be mentioned that Kamran came under bomb attacks by unidentified terrorists twice here about eight years ago. However, both times he escaped unhurt.
He came under a bomb attack in front of Hotel Gulshan in the city`s Taltola on August 7, 2004, and the second time the terrorists hurled bombs at him in city`s Tilagarh in December that year.