Reported on: July 01, 2012 15:44 PM
Reported in: Technology
July 01, 2012 (AP/UNB), Summer storms got you down? Have you forgotten how we used to pass the time before the days of , Netflix and Pinterest? Here's an idea: catch up on Mashable's features coverage from the last week and check out some resources you may have missed.
[More from Mashable: ]
Saturday marks the third annual -- so get in the spirit with stories on turning social media relationships into IRL ones, the state of social media in Europe and how the medium is impacting small communities.
Also be sure to check out our business coverage for hot tips on scoring those first 1,000 users, keeping an engaged audience online and mastering the art of Search Engine Optimization. Whether you work at a large company or are just sowing the roots of your start-up, we'll definitely have something to boost your productivity this week.
[More from Mashable: ]
And because we know you've been waiting for this with bated breath, we've rounded up six scented iPhone cases that are bound to tickle your senses. There's no need to say thank you — we do it because we care.
- Here are five common errors that small businesses make when it comes to social media -- and how to avoid them.
- With the help of some smart marketers and entrepreneurs, we're created a clear outline for attracting your startup's first 1,000 users.
- Moms lead the pack when comes to liking brands on Facebook, according to a recent survey by Burst media.
- Just like new computers come standard with Internet Explorer or iPhoto, iPhones contain in-house apps. Here are 10 alternatives to the norm.
- The more users make the switch to Apple products, the more we can expect criminal malware to follow. Here's how to protect your Mac.
- It's not always easy to transition a social media acquaintance into a real-life friendship. Here are a few tools that can make that happen.
- We love listening to music to start the day. For Music Monday we decided to share a Spotify playlist of our favorite commuting songs.
- Which TV shows generate the most buzz on social networks? Find out each week from our social TV chart.
- You can connect your Twitter feed to your home appliances by using simple hacks or splurging on an Internet-ready device.
- Join our Google+ hangout on June 27 at 8:30 A.M. EST to discuss trends and the state of social media with social media influencers from Europe.
- As we spend a bit of time chatting over on Skype, we thought we'd share some fun tips.
- Reuters may have pulled the @ReutersHulk parody, but there are still plenty of Hulk-style accounts that are worth following on Twitter.
- Some of the best inside jokes of the web quit before burning out. Here are 10 memorable Tumblr sites.
- In light of Mashable's mission to celebrate the digital revolution, how social media impacts your local community.
- Google+ came onto the social media scene a year ago. These 10 brands have used the platform to its fullest.
- We found six figures in the gaming world you need to be following for hilarious updates and insider news about video games.
For more social media news and resources, you can follow Mashable's on and become a fan on .
Business & Marketing
- Should you take your team to the park and to sporting events? Startups sound off.
- We've been following Vungle for a couple months -- today we see their product go from alpha to beta.
- Four successful entrepreneurs shared the mobile payment apps they use to conduct sales and business, especially when they're on the road.
- This infographic reveals all you need to know to start building an engaged audience online.
- No one understands more than engineers that complex workflows can be a real pain. Here are three productivity tools to counter that.
- Companies are looking for new ways to break through the marketing clutter. One tactic is building a campaign around user-generated content.
- Google has released a video that provides startups tips and suggestions about how to master search engine optimization in just 10 minutes.
- Missed earlier episodes of 'Behind the Launch'? Catch up with our abridged version, then tune in to the finale.
- Personal tasks that may have once been considered taboo are now acceptable practices at work today, according to a study by Mozy.
- If you're getting your startup off the ground, you should recognize there are several options for how to structure your business.
- A recent study reveals customers don't feel online retailers are providing sufficient customer service.
- Here are three key methods for making your brand and its advertising something that can't be skipped or disrupted.
- In the last episode of Behind the Launch, co-founders Zain and Jack reflect on the past few months and discuss Vungle's future.
- As the November elections approach, politicians will likely focus on several key issues, including small business.
- There are many opportunities for brands to “go native.” Here are five types of native advertising every brand marketer should consider.
- The smartest brands are now putting music to work as part of their social marketing strategy. Here’s how it works.
- Socialcam's tagline is "the easiest way to take and share videos," and these brands are taking note.
- There are some basic best practices to keep in mind when coming up with how to market your business on the iPad. Here are five tips.
- In just eight short years, 46% of the U.S. workforce will be comprised of millennials. This infographic shares how and why to manage them.
- Push notifications, when done right, enable a brand to socialize with its most engaged customers anytime, anywhere. Here's how.
- Users that activate Do Not Track may still be served targeted ads to prevent the same ad from appearing over and over.
For more business news and resources, you can follow Mashable's on and become a fan on .
Tech & Mobile
- We've collected a selection of Google Maps that pinpoint the precise locations visited by some of the hottest characters on television.
- We have found eight excellent covers that mean you can take your e-reader to the beach without fear of damage from sand or sea.
- Today’s kids are part of the most connected generation ever, some having had cellphones and mobile gaming devices since grade school.
- If you want to shift TV from your small-screen laptop to the giant flat-screen, there are alternatives to the cable box.
- Both Google and Microsoft have dramatically overhauled the way each handles search over the past few months.
- Square revolutionized ecommerce with their mobile credit card reader. Now PayPal wants to do the same with the PayPal Here mobile service.
- Companies like Tesco and FreshDirect are reinventing the way we get our food.
- Just when we thought phone accessories couldn’t get any wackier, we found these six scented iPhone cases.
- Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Verizon have packages with different Internet connections, so don't waste money on speed you don't need.
- Security vulnerabilities and data retention policies have experts concerned about the privacy risks of our smartphone obsession.
- Experts reveal commuter tech etiquette rules travelers should follow for more joyful experiences on the bus or tube.
- These educational iPad and iPhone apps for kids in grade schoolers will keep your kids fresh for the new school year.
- If you're feeling particularly patriotic this time of year, try these 10 tech accessories.
- 5 applications and web platforms that are allowing individuals to call, text and email doctors when they need emergency medical advice.
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean brings with it voice search, but is it any match for Apple's Siri?